Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day 69 - New Sponsor Announced, Bike Crash and Awesome "Pasta!"

April 16, 2013          243.2 lbs

Drum roll please, my new sponsor is.  .  .  Kurt Kinetic! Makers of the best indoor trainer in the world!

I'm very excited for this. Means I can still get a ride in even on days when time is short. I want to thank Jason at Kurt Kinetic for believing in me and the journey I'm on.

Today, I had a "brick" work out.  3100 yard swim and a hour and ten minute bike ride. First up was the swim.

The swim workout consisted of:

3100 yards: 300 swim - 200 kick - 100 pull - 4x25 head up freestyle with 15 sec rest, 6x400 with 1 minute rest. - steady or getting slightly faster throughout. 

Felt a little scattered today in the water. Tried to focus on technique and not power through with my arms. But for some reason, couldn't connect it all today.As I warmed up, my legs were sore and I couldn't help but think about those pore souls hurt in Boston. So I told myself to shut up and swim.

I told Chris Hauth, (my coach), that I felt like a drowning monkey.

One thing is certain, I am getting stronger and faster in the water. Today was about the catch and the pull, but I kept lifting my head instead of tucking my chin. This messed up my breathing. Maybe I shouldn't care. Johnny Weissmuller who played Tarzan in the forties got Olympic gold swimming freestyle with his above water! Maybe I can to? Naaahhhh.  .  .

I got home and helped The Boss make a tasty dinner. Raw pasta A la Checca! Made with zucchini "noodles." It was so good, I had to take a picture!

 After getting lazy and dreading the bike ride, I finally got off my butt and headed out the door after midnight.
About 2:00 am, halfway through the ride, I turned down a dead end alley. As I approached the end I turned and as I did I hit some sand and glass. BAM! I went down before I could unclip my shoe.

Of course, the first thing I did was reach for the camera. I kept thinking, "I got to film it for the viewers!" What a dork!

I got up and did a quick systems check. Everything seemed okay. A little busted up. The exposed nerve ending on my leg were singing their siren song. I thought, "Man, this is going to suck to clean later." So I figured I should prioritize going home to clean my leg off and headed out.

                             (Warning the following image may be graphic to some viewers.)

Here is a video.

Sorry for all the blood. It's nothing compared to what the people in Boston lost.

As I write this several hours later, I feel okay. My neck, hip, elbow and right thumb are a bit sore. I don't know how I did it, but I lost a chuck of skin from my thumb to. Oh, well.

Time to rest up if possible. Until tomorrow my friends.


  1. lol "this image may be graphic for some viewers.." "AND HERE'S THE VIDEO!"