Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 186 - Late Night Running, Car Washes and Dark Trails

August 11, 2013              243.4 lbs

I had a long day of working, (yes I work without my shirt on- I also work without a.c. in my hot a** garage!)

By the time I was finished and free to workout, it was around 1:30 am. Once again, I had resigned myself to not working out. I had to run a couple errands, yes at 1:30 am in the morning, so I headed out and brought The Puppy with me to let her burn off some of the excess energy she has had lately.

Around 2:00 am I was at CVS buying baby wipes for The Puppy and almost had a panic attack at the thought of not being able to buy alcohol after 2:00 am. So I made sure I didn't buy any!
One errand was to get the car washed, so The Puppy got to experience her first automatic car wash!
We got home by 2:30 am and I couldn't stop thinking about missing the workout again. I'm sick of missing workouts,even with flagging motivation.

By 2:50 am I was heading out the door thinking I would at least run a half an hour. As I passed The Puppy's pen, she gave me a "Hey Dad, I would like to go run also." look. I thought "Oh what the heck, I'm only going a half hour and the dog needs to work off more energy." So I grabbed her and took off.

By 3:00 am we were at the road and I was choosing how long to run from existing pre-programed workout timers on my iPhone. My assigned workouts today was an hour and twenty minute Z2 run and a one hour ride to warm up for the run. I was scrolling through the various timers looking for a thirty minute one and spotted a seventy five minute timer from a previous run. I thought, "What the heck?" Seventy-five minutes at 3:00 am.

Once again. I took the road less traveled and found new trail running parallel with the freeway.

It kind of smelled of burnt rubber and as a result, The Puppy wasn't thrilled to run that part. It was also really dark.

Reminding me of the floating sensation I get on the bike in low light. Almost like flying.

I felt pretty light on my feet and let me tell you, that is a major accomplishment for my big Sasquatch self.

I love the freedom that comes with running.

And running at night/early in the am lets me go places that I normally wouldn't be able to.

An image outside the Kids Castle.

We finally turned home and I was amazed to still be feeling good and light so late into a run. Especially a long run. The Puppy did great and except for a brief moment of her suddenly needing to tackle my legs about a half mile from the end. 

We got home around 4:49 am and I realized I wasn't done with The Puppy yet. She needed a bath! I thought at least she is going to sleep well today. Sure enough.  .  .

According to Strava, I PR'ed on my 10k, running six and a half miles in 1:17:53. Not bad considering I had The Puppy with me which always makes for a constant pull forward or pull back as she tries to find the right cadence to keep up. Okay, that's enough as it is now 8:51 am and I am exhausted. First to take The Puppy outside to potty so I can get a couple hours sleep. Until tomorrow my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment