Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 197 - A Late Night Adventure Into Reseda

August 22, 2013         244 lbs

What a day of work and training! I got off work early at only 10:00 pm. My workout for the day was a one and a half hour Z2 ride with at least thirty minutes at Z3.

So I kitted up, lubed up, and took off from the garage. Which meant that I would have to deal with the monster hill in my neighborhood at the end of my ride. Something I was slightly concerned about considering how little training I have been doing lately!

I headed down Hollywood Way to Pacific and turned right so I could get out of traffic for a minute and ride the bike route to Victory. I knew Victory has a bike lane and I kind of wanted to see how far west it went. So when I got to Victory, I turned right and started west. I wasn't sure how far I was going to go before I turned back for a more familiar route.

 As I rode and saw that there wasn't many cars out, I started wondering how far I could go if I rode towards my friend Kevin's restaurant Vinh Loi Tofu in Reseda. What the heck! So I turned up Laural Canyon until I got to Sherman Way and turned left heading west again. Then I just stayed on Sherman Way until I was about a mile from Vinh Loi. That's when I got the official "halfway point" warning. I thought, there is no way I'm not going all the way there after getting this close.
You see Kevin's restaurant in Reseda is about fifteen miles from my house in Burbank. The mere idea of riding to his place was something I would have never considered only a few months ago.

So at about one hour in, I was in front of the restaurant.

And a little bit happy about it.

I took a minute and ate a cliff bar for the ride back. I started texting people, including Kevin. Then it was time to head back.
One thing I noticed is late night taco stands/trucks are doing excellent business! I saw a bunch of them. And they were packed. I was thinking, I'm in the wrong business.

The ride home was uneventful thankfully. It was a pleasant evening and I felt great. I noticed how much energy I had at the beginning of the ride and at the halfway point and started trying to remember what I had been eating for the last couple of days so I could repeat it.

Finally I got to the big hill at the end. I have to say, I was tired and wondering how I was going to tackle it. In the end, I just started pedaling at an even cadence. About half way up, I was breathing heavier and focusing on taking deeper breaths to compensate. My legs were tired, but not exhausted. About three quarters up, I was breathing faster and my legs were really tired. But I noticed that my breathing was still not too bad and I didn't feel like lactate was saturating the muscles of my legs. As a matter of fact, it felt like my body was still able to flush out the built up lactate. That is a very good sign. Don't get me wrong, I'm not heading to Tour de France anytime soon, and I'm pretty sure a snail had lapped me at one point. But I was able to keep going even after riding 28 miles.

Until tomorrow my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment