Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day 416 - Testing, Testing. . .

March 29, 2014

Test Race Day! Here it is.

I woke up at 7:00am after only getting a couple hours sleep. Even worse, I woke with some lower g.i. issues. I ate some oatmeal with blueberries, a plant based protein shake and waited for an hour and a half to let it digest. Then headed out to the pool. As soon as I got there, I realized I had forgotten my swim bag. DANG! Fortunately, I had my tri bag and there was a back up pair of goggles and ear plugs. But no swim cap. I was already behind so I decided to swim without it. GO! Besides my gut being upset, for whatever reason I felt like I could not take in a full breath. It was like that the entire day. I should have taken a few minutes and warmed up with some sinking drills. Not wearing the swim cap caused my long hair to drip water directly into my mouth with each breath. I felt like I was drowning for the entire 30 minute swim. I knew I was a little under my goal distance of 1.2 miles but I just couldn't pull any harder. 1562 yards or .89 miles.

Out of the pool into T1 transition which was.  .  .  at the pool. And at my car parked down the hill. After a painfully long 11:49 min transition, I had the bike loaded with four water bottles and six rice cakes. I ate one as soon as I started riding to "front load" my carbs. The bike rode well, felt good. (I lubed the chain recently.) The new tires continue to impress me. I rode to Hansen Dam with the intention to loop around it until my assigned three hours and forty-five minutes was up. My gut was really bugging me. Most triathletes get upset stomachs before big races but this was something else. Anywho, I could have pushed harder. I think I was a bit too conservative on the power output because I was concerned about my energy on the run.  I made it back to my car and packed up the bike.

The run started slow as usual. My legs felt a little stiff. A quarter of the way into the run, I think I hit the wall as negative thoughts flooded my brain. What was I doing out here? Why am I torturing myself? etc.   .   . 
The halfway point, is an uphill climb that just sucks. After riding for several hours and swimming my knees were protesting and finally gave in and started walking parts of those hills.

Finally, I made it to home base, aka: my car, and spent several minutes catching my breath and walking in circles. I had been under my ideal distance on the bike and the run. That made it all three. I have no idea what Chris, my coach, is going to say. My fear is that he will tell me it is impossible to finish a full Ironman distance with the training time left. I will just have to see. On a positive note, (finally!) I felt good to complete all three events today. My running is still the weakest link of the three and I worry about how my knees ache after the bigger runs. But I'm just going to have to see how it all plays out. Until tomorrow my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment